Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Smelling Famous


I saw a quick strawberry sauce recipe in a magazine recently, but I couldn't find the article when I needed it this past weekend. We had a surplus of strawberries from the farmers market with a limited shelf life and I recalled the basic principle behind the recipe: Clean, simmer, add some maple syrup and cornstarch. This may be the year of winging recipes for me.

Since breakfast around here is only "fancy" on the weekends, it felt pretty special to make waffles AND cook a sauce on the stovetop. However, as I cooked the sauce on the stove my son walked by and commented, "Wow, that sauce smells famous." With that kind of ringing endorsement, this sauce is worth the extra pot to clean.

Quick and Easy Strawberry Sauce

2 cups washed and hulled strawberries
2 Tbls. maple syrup (adjust depending on the sweetness of your strawberries)
1/2 Tbls. corn starch

In a pot combine strawberries and maple syrup and turn on the heat to medium-high. As it starts to bubble, add cornstarch and mash the strawberries with a fork to break them down a bit (I like it chunky). Let it simmer for about 3 minutes or till thickened. Transfer to a bowl and let it cool.

This recipe makes about 1 1/2 cups of sauce. In addition to our weekend waffles, I used it as a topping on Greek yogurt and also just ate it by the spoonful. It lasted less than six hours in this house, but maybe you can make it last longer in your home.

2 comments:

  1. Just stumbled upon your blog from DALS. We picked up a flat of strawberries the other day from the side of the road (don't you love that?), and this would be perfect to add to my mother's day cinammon-challah-french-toast-casserole.

    I'm just across the bay from you, and my kids are products of our food-obsessed area so I think this sauce wouldn't last long over here either.

    Jessica
    stayathomeista.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so great to see local bloggers around these parts! Your french toast casserole sounds amazing, would love to see the recipe. We're keep it simple, my husband makes a darn good pop-over, so we'll have that with some fresh fruit and some bacon. Happy Mother's Day to you!

      Delete