Saturday, February 4, 2012

Pity Party, Table for One



** Warning: Heavy whining ahead**

I could feel it sneaking up on me all week. A random series of sneezes, a morning cough that felt like I had been smoking and then the "sneeze that changed it all" came along. Boom! I was down for the count. Another sign that I am getting sick? I often pick clothes out of the closet that haven't been worn in a couple of years and end up feeling as awful as I look by the end of the day.

One thing you quickly realize once you become a parent is when you get sick you are on your own when it comes to care and gaining sympathy from your kids. The little kids still have their own little worlds to be tended to and you better not let that stuffy nose slow you down or they will let you know it.  Suck it up and have some Sudafed already!

My day off during the week is Friday and while I knew that I was down for the count, I went about my business but I seriously crumbled that night. I bought some frozen pizzas for dinner, threw those in the oven and went to bed. My kids thought they won the lottery. I had no will power at the grocery store. If they asked for it, I bought it. So they had frozen pizza, frosted cookies and creamsicles in the cart before we hit the check out aisle. I did say no to the Jell-O pudding cups, though! (I hate pudding) But I could see my son plotting my demise in the future because it was clear that Sick Mom = Food Bonanza.

I woke up on Saturday feeling even worse than the day before, I was all zoned out from repeated hits of Nyquil during the night and I knew that I was going to be of no good to my family. So between the chills, the sweats and the vapors I got them out of the house for the day so I could Just.Be.Sick.

I spent the day sleeping and drinking seltzer water. By the time evening rolled around, I was voraciously hungry and nothing seemed good to eat. Should I order War WonTon soup, heat up another frozen pizza or just eat frosted cookies? I was on my own for dinner since my son went to a sleepover at a friends house and the younger one was at a birthday party with her dad. What does a sick mom have for dinner?

Pity Party Tomato Soup, of course!


Pity Party Tomato Soup

Ingredients:
2 Tbls. Butter
1 Tbls. EVOO
1/2 onion chopped
2 Tbls. flour
2 Tbls. tomato paste
1/2 tsp. dried thyme or a few sprigs of fresh thyme if you have it
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 can of chicken broth
A few glugs of cream or half n half

Sautee the onion in the butter and EVOO for 5 minutes. Add the flour, tomato paste and thyme and let it cook for one minute. Then add the can of tomatoes (juice included) and can of broth and simmer for 15 minutes. Add a few glugs of cream and then puree the soup with an immersion blender. I feel better already just writing this down.

No comments:

Post a Comment