Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Problem with Pinterest


I have fallen head over heels in love with Pinterest and am inspired everyday with the pins that my friends and random strangers have pinned. I eagerly re-pin ideas to my boards with all the hope in the world that I can actually find the time to do some of these amazing ideas. Amazingly enough, I have even had a few pictures from this blog re-pinned and that was incredibly flattering!! I try not to look at it while I am at work, because it is a time suck vortex when I should really be focusing on my work. A girl has to earn a living, right?

But my problem with Pinterest is the visual overload, Sometimes I quickly look at a pin, make a note in my head and move on. Which is exactly what I did when I saw a recipe for this amazing Apple Pie Oatmeal made in a crock pot. I made a quick note of the measurements and now I can't find the source of the recipe and I didn't even pin it onto my own board.

Pinterest is like a new form of ADD.

But back to the recipe. You know how excited I got about cooking in my sleep? I did it again with this recipe, except this time we woke up to the house smelling like apple pie - not that I noticed. But my kids sure did and so did my husband. We greedily ate this up for breakfast and now I can add another hit to the breakfast menu. I can't say the same for the protein shake I made yesterday which left me feeling like I had a tire sitting around my waist for the entire day. I need to work on the measurements, because apparently 1 scoop of protein powder, 1 spoonful of peanut butter, 1/2 cup of milk, 1 cup of yogurt and 1 banana is not a good combo for this lady.

Apple Pie Oatmeal in a Crock Pot

3 apples, cored and peeled and diced - I used Gala apples
1/2 teaspoon cinammon
1 cup steel cut oats
1 cup apple juice
3 cups water

Combine together in a Crock pot and cook for three hours on High. You can probably figure out that I didn't turn it on when I went to bed, but I did wake up at 2:45 AM to get a drink of water and flicked it on as I left the kitchen. The original recipe said to stir it every hour or so, but I didn't and it turned out fine.

1 comment:

  1. I just discovered Pinterest on Friday and spent WAY too much time all over the place. Got totally lost on the internet! How many more time sucks can we invent? But, I loved every ADD-unproductive minute of it.

    ReplyDelete