Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Kettle what?

I just polished off a whole bunch of kale chips while reading blogs. As I munched leaf after leaf I kept thinking how amazing these lovely, crunchy, salty chips were. Let's backtrack a few days. I have been craving Kettle Chips like nothing else lately, it's all I can think about. Problem with me and chips is that I can't just take a handful, close the bag and walk away. No... those chips will siren song their way into my belly and I end up eating the whole bag and then have to listen to the whines and cries of family members who have self control. As a result, Kettle Chips almost never get an engraved invitation to my house. They are rude house guests that foist themselves onto you till you ask them to leave via the trash can.

Today was one of those days where I had some spare time and two bunches of kale in the fridge. One bunch is for Jenny's Pork and Kale this week and the second bunch is for.... hmmm... chips? Kale is a hearty green that lasts a long time (like more than two days) in my fridge and is a food I feel is one of those Super Power Mom foods that basically represent a day's worth of vitamins in one bunch.

When I made this recipe (again, from Dinner A Love Story) I wanted to add a little zing to make it taste like my beloved, but uninvited, Salt & Vinegar Kettle Chips. Here is my recipe:

1 bunch of kale, washed and spun dry
1 T. salt (or to taste)
2 T. EVOO

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Tear Kale into bite sized pieces (roughly two inches), toss out the stem that runs through the length of the kale leaf.

Toss the torn Kale in a bowl with EVOO and salt. Put pieces on a cookie sheet, spreading out the pieces so that they aren't on top of each other.

Roast for 8 minutes, turning pan half way through if your oven is like mine and roasts the back faster than the front. Watch carefully so they don't burn.

Once they are crispy, put them in a bowl and sprinkle a little extra salt and dribble some apple cider vinegar with the kale. Toss one more time. Then present them to your family and enjoy a heightened state of nirvana while watching your children inhale kale. If you think your family members won't like it, then ask your 5 year old to close his eyes and eat just one piece - maybe that will work.

No comments:

Post a Comment