Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Dinner fail

Last night we had ratatouille with egg pasta made with fresh vegetables from the farmers market, you couldn't get more organic and fresher than this (did my kids eat it? No way). But Geoff and I did, we lapped our bowls and greedily arranged lunches for the next day with the leftovers.

And then you have a day like today. A mere 24 hours after VegFest I had what I consider a dinner fail.

Sometimes the weather thwarts the greatest of plans - even dinner plans. I had big dreams to use up the basil, the yellow wax beans with some salmon from Trader Joe's. But an unseasonable June storm came through the Bay Area and I had to put the salmon on hold. I opened the freezer with no plan and saw my stash of frozen Trader Joe's orange chicken, frozen brown rice and those wax beans in the fridge. Dinner was done. The kids loved it - naturally and I got to use my get out of jail free card. I consider it a dinner fail because god knows what is in that "chicken", but then again, we all sat down together and ate dinner together and isn't that what it's all about? I do believe it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment